8.07.2007

REVIEW: Skipp Whitman - Free Agent CD


Skipp Whitman - Free Agent (Self-Released)

This
is going to be more like a "concept" review since I am reallynot in the mood to use my normal Mainstream Propaganda style I generally use when people ask me to review their CD. That's when I usually scan the press sheet, listen to some songs and then use a few great eye catching sentences in hopes of my words ending up in someone's future press sheet. This is clearly unimportant to you.

Skipp Whitman contacted me through Dumpin's Myspace page, making him possibly the first person on the internet that has actually read the Dumpin Myspace page. For that alone, I would buy him a beer if he was in town. Skipp is unlike the majority of Myspace rappers, meaning, he has a real CD, he doesn't jack other people's beats and he has played shows in real life before, and I couldn't find any Youtube videos of him "freestyling" over the "Cannon" beat in his mom's basement. These are all incredible accomplishments when you're wading through Myspace's dirty music cesspool.

Skipp comes from L.A., by way of Boston. I personally think that was a good move, since Boston is the worst city in America (I'm sorry Skipp. I'm sorry Dart Adams). I guess I should mention I'm also a Yankees fan, and any hatred I have toward Boston is derived from that. There is no real detection of the Bahstuhn accent though in case you are a hater like me.

I suppose I should talk about the music. Well, I'll tell you this. It's pretty good. Skipp stays humble throughout the album and never goes beyond his limitations. He raps about what he knows, and that's normally what I look for when it comes to the rap. On the song "Whiteboy", he reminisces about growing up as a wigger (Is this term offensive now? I can't remember). It's a tale I sadly relate to all too well. It's easily the standout track on the disc, and it's pretty catchy to boot.

That's another thing about this Skipp Character, he did most of the beats on here himself, and for the most part they're all pretty bangin'. If I were him, I'd be shopping the beats around, if he doesn't do that already.

The disc includes a handful of guests, including Statik Selektah and Skyzoo, who is not only somewhat underground famous, but he's also named after an old disco song I enjoy. I am like most old codgers where I don't like too many guest appearances, but there's just the right amount on here, and none of them really ever outshine Skipp, which is the main problem of having too many guest spots in the first place.

This is the constructive criticism part of the review. As far as I know, Skipp is still unsigned. I'm not sure what he's aiming for, but he seems more than capable of getting "signed" to a decent independent label, but that may not be what he's looking for. I think his only real problem is what I commended him on earlier. He's humble and he raps about what he knows. I may enjoy tales of growing up listening to the "wrong" kind of music and shopping at the mall, but I am also not the American buying public. He may need to spice up his game if he wants to get far. I still think he could fall back on his production though.

Overall, I'd say at the very least you should check out his Myspace page. The "Whiteboy" song is serious and could be easily thrown on a mixtape or two. Here is hoping every rap CD I get to review via Myspace is at least this good so I don't have to tear it apart and have dorks Myspace threatening me. I am too old for that.

Skipp Whitman on Myspace (You can find purchasing info there too, if you feel so inclined)